

State's urban development minister Ashok Bhattacharya also said that he along with the sports minister and Sourav Ganguly, would meet the ICC chief Sharad Pawar and ask him to plead with the international cricket body to change their decision of scrapping Eden Gardens as a venue for India-England match. "We have sought an appointment with Pawar and our date of journey will be finalised accordingly," Bhattacharya said.
"Since it involves the emotion of millions of cricket lovers of West Bengal, maximum efforts will be put in to see that the match is held at the Eden Gardens. In fact, if necessary, the match might be rescheduled," the minister added.
Meanwhile, Sourav Ganguly said he had talks with Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) President Jagmohan Dalmiya this afternoon and asked him to continue the efforts to bring back the match to Kolkata. "The state government is ready to extend all-out support to the CAB in this regard," Ganguly added. န Photos : Indrajit Dutta, AFP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No arms recovered from CPI(M) camps : CRPF's IG TB Rao

“A list was given to us by the court mentioning the location of armed camps in the three districts (Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia) and we distributed the list to the field officers so that they can conduct raids in their areas,” IG (CRPF) T B Rao told PTI. “The raids are being conducted for a week or so but so far there has not been any positive result,” Rao said, adding that by “positive result”, he meant that no weapons have been recovered from the camps.
When asked whether they had searched all the camps in the list provided by the court, he said, “No we have not been able to conduct search operations in all the camps, but a considerable number has been searched and there has been no positive result. More search operations will continue,” Rao added.
The State government had come under severe criticism when nine people were killed allegedly by armed CPI(M) cadres at Netai in West Midnapore on 7 January.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Bangladesh Bank" to announce monetary policy tomorrow
UNB, Dhaka, 29 January : Bangladesh Bank will announce its monetary policy tomorrow at 2pm, said governor Dr Atiur Rahman.
The central bank would never step back from taking required policy decisions so that the country’s disciplined banking system is not affected, he said while speaking at a scholarship awarding ceremony of Shahjalal Islami Bank Ltd in the city today. Dr Atiur said: “Information asymmetry prevails in our developing economy. So, central bank won’t step back in taking the required policy decisions.”
UNB, Dhaka, 29 January : Bangladesh Bank will announce its monetary policy tomorrow at 2pm, said governor Dr Atiur Rahman.
The central bank would never step back from taking required policy decisions so that the country’s disciplined banking system is not affected, he said while speaking at a scholarship awarding ceremony of Shahjalal Islami Bank Ltd in the city today. Dr Atiur said: “Information asymmetry prevails in our developing economy. So, central bank won’t step back in taking the required policy decisions.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"CAB" accuse "ICC" of double standards on Eden Gardens
Kolkata, 29 January : Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) virtually accused the International Cricket Council (ICC) of double standards after the international body Saturday turned down its plea of retaining the historical Eden Gardens as the venue for the India-England World Cup match.
CAB joint secretary Biswarup Dey said the ICC has different principles for different venues. "The inspection was done on January 25 and Eden was removed as a venue on January 27. But the rest of the venues got an extension of 14 days. It seems the ICC has different principles for different venues," said Dey.
Kolkata, 29 January : Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) virtually accused the International Cricket Council (ICC) of double standards after the international body Saturday turned down its plea of retaining the historical Eden Gardens as the venue for the India-England World Cup match.
CAB joint secretary Biswarup Dey said the ICC has different principles for different venues. "The inspection was done on January 25 and Eden was removed as a venue on January 27. But the rest of the venues got an extension of 14 days. It seems the ICC has different principles for different venues," said Dey.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Former Dhaka RU, GS journalist Pathik Saha passes away
Dhaka, 29 January : Journalist Pathik Saha, two times former general secretary of Dhaka Reporters’ Unity and chief reporter of the daily Bangladesh Pratidin, died of cardiac arrest in the city Saturday morning. He was 45.
Family sources said Pathik Saha fell sick at his Lalmatia residence and died on way to hospital at about 5 am. Pathik Saha,also information and research secretary of Swechchhasebak League, left behind one son, wife and host of relatives and well-wishers to mourn his death. His body was taken to Dhaka Reporters’ Unity premises at 11 am. Hundreds of working journalists, political leaders, well-wishers and leaders of social, cultural organizations rushed there to pay their last respects to their departed colleague.
Dhaka, 29 January : Journalist Pathik Saha, two times former general secretary of Dhaka Reporters’ Unity and chief reporter of the daily Bangladesh Pratidin, died of cardiac arrest in the city Saturday morning. He was 45.
Family sources said Pathik Saha fell sick at his Lalmatia residence and died on way to hospital at about 5 am. Pathik Saha,also information and research secretary of Swechchhasebak League, left behind one son, wife and host of relatives and well-wishers to mourn his death. His body was taken to Dhaka Reporters’ Unity premises at 11 am. Hundreds of working journalists, political leaders, well-wishers and leaders of social, cultural organizations rushed there to pay their last respects to their departed colleague.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Know Your Army" exhibition got under way at Fort William

The ‘Know Your Army’ Exhibition is intended to stimulate public awareness about Army equipment and various important activities under taken by the Army in recent times, as also to motivate the youth to ‘join the best profession’. The Exhibition is open for Public free of cost from 10am to 4pm. Entry is through St George’s Gate underneath the Vidyasagar Setu. န Photos Courtesy : Ministry of Defence
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Foreigner dies mid-air,Luf' plane makes emergency landing
Kolkata, 29 January : A Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to Singapore with 300 passengers on board Saturday made an emergency landing at Kolkata airport following a medical complication related to a passenger. The passenger was found dead when the aircraft landed.
"We facilitated the landing of the flight after we got a call for emergency landing. After the landing at about 11.25 am, it was discovered that a passenger, Robert, was already dead," said B.P. Sharma, director of the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport. "Robert, 75, was travelling from Belgium along with his wife," he said.
Kolkata, 29 January : A Lufthansa flight from Frankfurt to Singapore with 300 passengers on board Saturday made an emergency landing at Kolkata airport following a medical complication related to a passenger. The passenger was found dead when the aircraft landed.
"We facilitated the landing of the flight after we got a call for emergency landing. After the landing at about 11.25 am, it was discovered that a passenger, Robert, was already dead," said B.P. Sharma, director of the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport. "Robert, 75, was travelling from Belgium along with his wife," he said.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rd. blockade in north, middle Andaman against buffer zone


The villagers, who also fear closure of Andaman Trunk Road due to the notification, were also demanding continuation of traffic on the vital link. ''The Buffer Zone Notification, which is threatening existence of 34 villages of South Andaman and N and M Andaman District, must be withdrawn. This Notification is anti-public, anti-tourism and anti- fisheries industry,'' the Island's lone MP Bishnu Pada Ray, who also participated in the blockade, told UNI.
Mr Ray alleged that the administration was trying to suppress the voice of public by not giving mike and meeting permissions in other villages where the ATR and Buffer Zone Sangarsh Committee was scheduled to organize such road blockade in North and Middle Andaman. န Photos : www.survivalinternational.org
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------www.bengalnewz.com-----